Historic St. Patrick`s Church
Transcription
Historic St. Patrick`s Church
Historic St. Patrick's Church Essay and photographs by Greg Johnson, 2007 Historic St. Patrick's Church in Toledo, Ohio has long been a staple of the skyline of Toledo. The church, with its roots dating back to the original St. Patrick's Church built in 1863, will culminate a long renovation project with the Inaugural Organ Concert on October 23, 2007. This is a brief history, in both pictures and text, of the creation and renovation of the Historic St. Patrick's Church of Toledo, Ohio. Archival footage courtesy of The Historic Church of St. Patrick's and the Toledo-Lucas County Public Library. Special thanks to Mike Cora of the Toledo-Lucas Public Library and Deacon Thomas Carone of Historic Church of St. Patrick. Early History of St. Patrick's Church First Father of St. Patrick's Church, Father Edward Hannin (1826 – 1902) The first pastor of St. Patrick's Church, Edward Hannin (Americanized version of the family name Hannan), was born into a relatively prosperous family in Emlanaughtan in 1826. Bartolomew and Margaret Tighe Hannin would have a total of eight children, although the family would also soon incorporate a large amount of the local children through the school that they opened on their land. Young Edward would complete his early education at home and at the age of 19, set off for Dublin to complete coursework required for government work. In 1846, Hannin took employ as a government engineer and superintendent of public works in Dublin. After a brief period in Liverpool working for a commercial house, Hannin, with the blessing of his parents, immigrated to the United States during the potato famine of 1849. He was just 22 years of age. 1|Page In America, Hannin soon became interested in working for the Catholic Church. After completing his studies in Greek and Latin, Edward entered the St. Mary's Theological Seminary in Cleveland under the sponsorship of Bishop Amadeus Rappe. Hannin would achieve the priesthood, after three years of study, in June of 1856. Father Hannin's first appointment was as Assistant Priest to St. John's Cathedral (see photo on right) in Cleveland. The following year, Hannin also took on the responsibilities of being the Secretary to the Bishop. After nearly six years of service, Father Hannin was given the chance to organize a parish in the new eastern Ohio city of Toledo. The Irish in Toledo in 1862 were a rough group, as most were employed as laborers building the canals and railroads that spurred the boom town. Along with this hard labor came ever harder living, with saloons and other elements growing nearly as quickly as the population. In April of 1862, Hannin set out to choose the site for his new parish, selecting and purchasing lots on the "highest point in the city" to build his new church. The land that would eventually become St. Patrick's Church was purchased in May of 1862 in an area of Toledo that would later be known as "Irish Hill," at the corner of Lafayette and Thirteenth St. The cornerstone of the church was placed on July 4, 1862 by Bishop Luers of Fort Wayne, IN. The construction would be quick, as the first mass was given on February 1, 1863. The final costs for the construction of the first church, as well as it organ and church bell, would come to approximately $27,000. Toledo in 1862 To properly understand the hardships faced by Rev. Hannin and his young parish, one must know what Toledo was like in 1862. When St. Patrick's held its first service in 1863, the city of Toledo was only three decades old and the usual growing pains of a young city. The city was looking to make its mark in the young country as a transportation hub for the new northwestern section of the country. The Middle grounds area, land re-claimed from form swampland between the Maumee River and Swan Creek, would prove to be the railroad hub of the small city. By 1863, this area was home to the Island House Hotel, a stylish hotel built in 1856, as well as multiple grain elevators and most of the freight transfer in Toledo. The population of Toledo had grown from 2,000 residents in 1835 to almost 14,000 in 1860. With this boom in growth came a need for infrastructure. Services such as the first sewer system (1848), a volunteer fire stations (1837), Board of Education (1849), high school (1850), a volunteer police force (1852), gas lighting (1857), the Cherry St. Bridge (1865), horse drawn trolleys (1862), and telegraph service (1848). This growth and later industrialization would only continue following the Civil War. Churches also boomed during this time period with the mission of trying to keep new male immigrants to the city out of the saloons and taverns. The first church in Toledo, First Presbyterian (later Congregational) was opened in 1833, with the first Catholic Church in Toledo, St. Francis de Sales on Cherry St. in 1841. Other Catholic Churches, such as St. Mary's German Catholic and St. Joseph's French Catholic followed, with St. Patrick's following in 1863. 2|Page The First St. Patrick's Church In 1864, as Father Edward Hannin was dedicating and beginning to lead St. Patrick's Church, his brother, Father Luke Hannin, was doing the same at the Church of the Immaculate Conception (photo left). The construction of the Church of the Immaculate Conception, sometimes called the Ballymote Church, was begun in 1857 and finished in 1864. The construction and dedication of the church was a family affair, as it was designed and built by another relative, Canon Denis Tighe. In keeping with his upbringing, Hannin desired to institute an education system within his parish as Photo courtesy of Anne Ryan, 2001 soon as possible. Based on this desire, St. Patrick's Academy, a grade and two year high school, was built in 1865. Father Hannin would also build a cemetery for the decease of the parish, St. Patrick's Cemetery, and begin planning for a large diocesewide Catholic Cemetery, which would become Cavalry Cemetery. Later innovative projects would include the St. Patrick's Institute, a place where young men could gather in order to stay out of trouble with the law. During the first 40 years of St. Patrick's, Hannin would only spend a small amount of time away from the Church. With the resignation of Bishop Rappe in 1870, Father Hannin returned to Cleveland in the position of Administrator of the Dioceses until a new Bishop, Bishop Richard Gilmore, could be commissioned. In 1872, Hannin would return to St. Patrick's. After more than a decade of service, it seemed inappropriate for anyone else to lead the parish while he was physically able to. Recognizing this, in 1899 Bishop Gilmore named Father Hannin Irremovable Rector of St. Patrick's Church. Construction of the Current St. Patrick's Church (1892-1902) The first incarnation of St. Patrick's Church, which was built in less than one year, began to show its age quickly. By 1891, after only 28 years of service, Rev. Hannin and the rest of the church deemed the church to be unsafe and decided to begin constructing a new church. Before demolition, the parishioners moved the organ, pews, and important artifacts out of the church and into the recently constructed parish hall. The first St. Patrick's Church was razed to make way for the current church that was built on the same lot. In May of 1892, the foundation for the new church was begun. Towards the end of 1892 and throughout 1893 and 1894, Hannin and the rest of the church leaders began the process of securing bids and selecting companies to work on the new church. The cornerstone of the new St. Patrick's Church was laid on July 15, 1894. The ceremony, which included a sermon by Rev. John Foley from Detroit, was conducted by Bishop Horstmann. Based upon his reputation for excellent Roman Catholic churches, including past work on St. Michael's Church in Rochester, NY (the basis of St. Patrick's design), St. Mary's in Buffalo, NY, St. Joseph's in 3|Page Pittsburgh, Iglesia San Miguel (St. Michael's) in Cleveland, Adolphus Druiding of Chicago was selected to design the new church. Many of the churches built by Druiding, most in the classic gothic architecture of St. Patrick's, still remain today. Druiding, known for his classical architectural ideas, was also known for his aggressive business style, which is evident in the letter between Druiding and Rev. Hannin during the planning, construction, and post construction period of St. Patrick's. A complete collection of the correspondence, contractor bids, contractor contracts, and fundraising advertisements can be found at the Toledo-Lucas County Public Library. The construction of St. Patrick's spanned nearly a decade, with the first Mass celebrated on Christmas Day, 1900. Even though the physical form of the church was nearly complete, the planning for the dedication was just beginning. Rev. Hannin wanted Archbishop Ireland or St. Paul Minnesota to give the dedication sermon. Archbishop Ireland, an incredibly busy man, originally had to turn down Rev. Hannin, stating that Hannin should look for a pastor closer to Toledo or from the East Coast. Undeterred, Hannin launched a massive campaign to convince Archbishop Ireland to give the dedication sermon. This campaign included letters of support from Mayor Samuel Jones, Judge J.A. Barber from the Common Pleas Court, J.W. Bloomer from the Toledo News, Robinson Locke of the Toledo Blade, Judges Hann, Parker and Lynn of the Circuit Court of Ohio, P.H. Dowling of Toledo Transfer Company, H.P. Crouse of the Toledo Times, and various Bishops from all parts of Ohio. Hannin, in his letter to Archbishop Ireland, described the newly completed church as a "gem of gothic architecture” and one of the “most beautiful churches east of Chicago, if second to any it is only to St Patrick’s Cathedral in New York." In another letter, Mayor Samuel Jones described Rev. Hannin as a "monument to faithful and devoted life." After seeing the outpouring of support for Rev. Hannin and St. Patrick's from all of the major figures of Toledo, Archbishop Ireland agreed to give the dedication sermon. The official dedication of St. Patrick's occurred on April 14, 1901. The ceremony was attended by more than 100 religious leaders from all parts of the United States including: Cardinal Gibbons of Baltimore; Archbishop Martinelli, Papal Delegate at Washington; President of Washington University, Monsignor Conaty; the Bishops of Wheeling W.V., Scranton, PA, Pittsburgh, PA, Harrisburg, PA; and clergy members from Philadelphia and Brooklyn. Passing of Father Hannin With the completion of his great church, Father Hannin began to tend to the other needs of his parish. Knowing of Hannin's worsening health, various friends of began the work of raising money to allow Hannin to return to Ireland to rest. Hannin politely refused and never left his parish. Father Hannin began to fall ill during the final phases of construction of the current St. Patrick's Church. On November 7, 1902, Father Hannin became ill while saying Mass at St. Patrick's. He would finish the Mass, with the assistance of the altar boys who has been serving. This would prove to be his last Mass, as Father Hannin passed away in the afternoon on Sunday, December 4|Page 14, 1902, immediately after receiving final absolution from Father Leahy. After an ornate funeral service honoring his life and service, Father Edward Hannin was placed into a mausoleum in Cavalry Cemetery. He was later interned in the family plot in the same cemetery. Reconstruction of St. Patrick's Church Early Renovations The financial prosperity and growth of the city of Toledo during the early 1920's, which was felt by most of the country as well, did not reach St. Patrick's. With decreased attendance came financial woes. At the same time, the church was also in need of repairs. Father Keyes decided that the best way to fund these repairs would be by selling the now abandoned St. Patrick's Cemetery, which had been replaced as the resting place for the parish by Cavalry Cemetery. With this extra income, the renovation of St. Patrick's began. Changes included the marble floors that surround the altar on the floors and walls, new chandeliers and matching wall lights, as well as the addition of the signature shamrock inlays on the new terrazzo floors throughout the church. A new "Kilgen" organ was added to the choir loft, as well as new altar furniture. Outdoor improvements included updating the front walkway, steps, and retaining walls. Finally, the Stations of the Cross statues that adorn the church we donated, replacing pictorial representations. In 1934, the church was the victim of vandalism, with vandals badly damaging the altar and stealing various gold ornate objects from the church. Most were recovered a few blocks from the church. Despite the vandalism, Mass was given the following Sunday. In 1937, the last of the early renovations was completed as the cross on top of the spire was replaced due to damage. The new cross was to be made of wood, sheathed in copper and gold leaf. When completed, the cross was slightly smaller than nearly 40 year old original galvanized steel cross that it replaced. Photo courtesy of Toledo-Lucas County Public Library 5|Page Renovation Projects 1940's-2006 There were various projects between the 1937 steeple cross replacement and the current major renovation of the church that attempted to keep the aging church as healthy as possible. In what would prove to be a tremendous bargain, Monsignor Schmit discovered three slabs of marble in a local junkyard. Schmit was able to purchase the three slabs for a mere $21.00. These slabs would become the altar currently in use at St. Patrick's Church. The altar would not go unscathed, as in 1974 a scaffolding set up to make emergency repairs to glass high above the church crashed down on the altar. The 1980's found the church in financial Photo courtesy of Toledo-Lucas County Public Library crisis again. In 1984, the church created The Society for the Preservation of St. Patrick's Church in an attempt to bring back wayward parishioners and gain valuable money for repairs to the church. The society proved very adept at gain back lost parishioners, as well as new members from the Irish and Catholic community in Toledo. One of the first major repairs was to the heating and cooling facilities in the church, followed by the cleaning and restoration of the stained glass windows in the church and updating of the nearly 100 year old light fixtures. Later projects included remodeling the sacristy, removing pews in the back of the church, restoring the louvers in the bell tower, and the construction of a new reconciliation room inside the church. In 1972, the National Park Service added St. Patrick's Church to the National Register of Historic Places. In 1991, St. Patrick's was awarded a plaque of excellence by the Maumee Valley Historical Society for their continued efforts to maintain the church while "everything around it has been demolished or rebuilt." History of the St. Patrick's Steeple The Steeple Photo courtesy of Toledo-Lucas County Public Library The Historic St. Patrick's Church was originally constructed with a galvanized steel spire and steeple. Due to the height of the church, as well as the metallic covering of the newer cross, the landmark topping of the church was prone to lightning strikes. There have been at least four strikes, with the last recorded instance recorded in 1998. 6|Page A lightning strike in 1954 shorted out the electric organ. The next strike would prove to be the most catastrophic. On September 9, 1980, the cross at the top of the steeple was once again hit by a bolt of lightning. When the lightning struck the cross, the copper sheathing around the wooden cross fused the copper to the cross and a fire ensued. Due to the height of the steeple, the local fire department was unable to put out of the fire before the steep was completely destroyed. The fire department was able to minimize the damage to the church and limited most of the destruction to the steeple, roof damage, and water damage to the organ. After the final lightning strike in 1998, the church was retrofitted with a lightning protection system to protect the church in the instance of another strike. The church has been without a steeple for almost a generation now. In September of 2007, the steeple, which is being assembled offsite in Kentucky, will be re-attached to the church in a Skybreaking Gala. 2006-2007 Renovation Projects After more than a century of service and ever-changing Toledo weather, St. Patrick's was beginning to show it's age. Cracks were forming in the ceiling and on the walls of the church, the brilliant stained glass windows were not as vibrant, and the many statues within the church were beginning to fade. After discussion and debate in 2006, a full scale renovation of the church began. Almost every single aspect of the church, on both the inside and outside, was to be renovated or improved. The majority of the funding for this project was given to the church by the estate of Margaret Kennedy Hays Tank, a lifelong parishioner who passed away in 2006. A statue in her honor has been placed in the Memorial Garden next to the church. Below are pictures of the renovations. More can be found on the webpage for the church. 7|Page 8|Page The New Steeple The Historic Church of St. Patrick had been without its signature steeple for almost 27 years when it was placed atop the church on September 6, 2007. The new steeple was built by Campbellsville Industries, the self proclaimed "steeple people," of Campbellsville, KY. The steeple, when fully constructed measures more than 89 feet in height and weighs almost 12 tons. When the nine foot and 7 inch cross is affixed on top of the steeple, the church is almost 250 feet tall, easily recognizable from area freeways, streets, and from outside of the city of Toledo. The new steeple was given an "aged" finish so that it would not stand out from the 105 year old monument built by Father Hannin. Most of the project was covered by funds donated to the church after the passing of Margaret Hays Tank, a lifelong member of the Historic Church of St. Patrick. A statue honoring Mrs. Tank sits in the Memorial Garden outside of the church. Other funds were collected through weekly tithes and church fundraisers. A "skybreaking" will be held on September 15, 2007 to celebrate the return of the steeple to the historic church. 9|Page Historic St. Patrick's Church 2007 In 1987, after years of controversy and various name changes, the name of St. Patrick's Church was officially changed to the Historic Church of St. Patrick. The name remains today. With the nearly $3 million renovation nearly complete, the Historic Church of St. Patrick has almost returned to normal. On June 10, a Mass of Thanksgiving was given to celebrate the restoration of the church. Events are planned later in 2007 to commemorate the firefighters who fought the fire that ensued after the steeple and spire were hit by lightning, a "Skybreaking Gala" is scheduled for September 15 as the new steeple is placed on top of the church, the organ is to be blessed in a Mass on the October 21, and the inaugural organ concert is scheduled for October 23. On June 10, 2007, a Mass of Thanksgiving for the Restoration of the Church, presided over by Bishop of Toledo Leonard Blair, occurred at the newly renovated St. Patrick's Church. The Mass included a full choir, harpist (Denise GruppVerbon), the Academy Brass Quintet, the Church Organist (Terry Brassell), as well as Pipes and drums bagpipers supplied to the church from the Toledo Fire Fighters. This memorial cross, in honor of longtime parishioner and donor Margaret Kennedy Hays Tank, is located within the Memorial Garden on the eastern flank of the church. This garden is home to memorials to both parishioners and the pastors that have served the Historic Church of St. Patrick during its long and storied past. 10 | P a g e Inside the Historic Church of St. Patrick 11 | P a g e The altar at Historic St. Patrick's Church in Toledo, Ohio The baptismal font A view of the church from near the front altar at Historic St. Patrick's Church Pascal or Easter Candle at the front of the church 12 | P a g e A tile near the main altar. These tiles, with the shamrock inlay, can be found throughout the church. These shamrocks were added to the church during the renovations under Father Keyes. The confessional at Historic St. Patrick's Church All images were taken by Greg Johnson 13 | P a g e Outside the Historic Church of St. Patrick This inscription is on both sides of the path that lead to the main door of the church. On both sides of the inscription are small etchings of shamrocks. This image is of the ornate pillars that sit on both sides of the path to the front door of the church. This large wooden door serves as the main entrance to the church. On both sides of this door are two smaller, but equally ornate doors that lead into the church. There are two gargoyles high above on the front facade of the church. 14 | P a g e This cross, dedicated to Margaret Hays Tank, the major benefactor of the various reconstruction projects, sits outside of the church in the new Memorial Garden. The bricks that surround the statue and make up the garden are inscribed with the names of parishioners and nine of the Priest’s that have served the Historic Church of St. Patrick 15 | P a g e Pastors of St. Patrick's (1862-Present) Term Pastors 1862-1902 Very Rev. Edward A. Hannin 1903-1922 Rev. James P. McCloskey 1922-1935 Rev. Francis J. Keyes 1935-1968 Rev. Edmind J. Connolly 1968-1981 Msgr. Jerome E Schmit 1981-1990 Rev. John A. Thomas 1990-1991 Rev. Thomas J. Gordon 1991-1997 Rev. Richard J. Saelzer 1997-2005 Very Rev. Michael R. Billian, VE 2005-Present Rev. Dennis P. Hartigan Bibliography and Thanks Thanks to Deacon Tom Carone, Father Dennis Hartigan, Margaret Myers for her excellent resources on the history of the church, the parishioners of Historic St. Patrick's Church, Anna Ryan, and the clergy of the Church of the Immaculate Conception in Ballymote, Ireland. Thanks also to Mike Cora and Irene Martin of the Toledo-Lucas County Public Library. Resources: Porter, Tana Mosier. "Toledo Profile: A Sesquicentennial History." Toledo Sesquicentennial Commission. Toledo, OH. 1987. Sarabia, Mary L. "Father Edward Hannin: The Growth and Development of an Ethnic Parish in the Lower Great Lakes." (PhD Dissertation, University of Toledo, 1986). " St. Patrick's Historic Church Collection, 1862-1935," Toledo-Lucas County Public Library. (Boxes 1-4 and OS 9). WGTE Public Broadcasting. "Cornerstones: The Irish in Toledo." WGTE. 1996. 45min. 16 | P a g e Contact Information for St. Patrick's Church Location 130 Avondale Avenue, Toledo, Ohio 43604 General Phone 419-243-6452 Email parish@stpatshistoric.org Website http://www.stpatshistoric.org/home_1.cfm Church Bulletins http://www.stpatshistoric.org/bulletins_2.cfm Liturgy Schedule http://www.stpatshistoric.org/liturgy_1.cfm St. Patrick's Parish Leaders Pastor: Reverend Dennis P. Hartigan, Ph.D. Associate Pastor: Reverend Michael A. Geiger In residence: Very Reverend Christopher P. Vasko, VJ Deacon: Deacon Thomas S. Carone Deacon: Deacon James Caruso Pastoral Associate: Sister Mary Dean Pfahler, SND Secretary: Ms. Mary C. Dudley Maintenance: Mr. Carl Harding Soup Kitchen Manager: Ms. Elaine Organist: Mr. Terry Brassell Music Coordinator: Mrs. Katherine Bishop-Brassell Choir Director: Mr. Steve Kwiatkowski Usher Captain: Mr. Tony Carollo Pastoral Council: Mr. Matthew Mackowiak Finance Council: 17 | P a g e